Public Policy and Governance (PPG) Program at the Department of Political Science and Sociology (PSS) of North South University will offer an evening program "Executive Masters in Policy and Governance (EMPG)" from Spring 2017 semester.
The EMPG is expected to meet the academic and professional requirement of new entrants and mid-level working professionals of public bureaucracy, development executives, embassy officials, managers of NGOs, private sector officials willing to widen and enrich further their professional degrees. The program would provide a flexible and interactive learning approach suitable to working professionals from diverse academic and professional backgrounds.
OBJECTIVE OF THE PROGRAM
The EMPG is designed to offer high quality and international standard education and training on governance and policy analysis for the young professionals of Bangladesh. This is intended to enhance capacity for young professionals on public policy and governance. It aims to strengthen academic competence and professional skills among professionals from public bureaucracy, development executives, embassy officials, managers of NGO, private sector officials in Bangladesh.
NSU has been successfully offering a regional program for South Asian professionals on master in public policy and governance with international collaboration since 2008. There is a ready stock of rich available material input on policy and governance which can be effectively utilized for the proposed MPG Program targeting the young professionals of the public/ non-government and development sectors.
The MPG aims to develop problem- solving and analytical skills of the participant students from wide range of scholarly resources/ case studies/ learning materials on major policy and governance issues in the broader South Asian context with particular reference to Bangladesh. The program aims to make a unique balance of theory and practice. Practical approaches would include development of a practicum by the students independently based on work life experiences. In brief the major aims of the MPG are as follows:
- Analytical and practical skill development
- Improving policy analysis skills
- Conceptual and practical understanding on governance and development
The EMPG Program has 3 areas of specialization: i) Policy Analysis, ii) Human Resource Development, and iii) Program Management. Students will take 6 core courses and 6 courses from the areas of specialization.
The course curriculum of the EMPG has been designed on the basis of an extensive review and analysis from the demand side of the program. Several stakeholders such as government, UN agencies, bilateral development partners and INGOs/NGOs were involved in consultation workshops, experts’ interviews and baseline survey. The teaching materials have been developed by professional experts from leading European and national universities.
The curriculum development process of EMPG has been supported by a grant from Higher Education Quality Enhancement Project (HEQEP) under University Grants Commission (UGC) of Bangladesh.
The completion of EMPG degree requires 4 semesters (comprising four months each) with 12 courses. Each course is equivalent to 3 credits thereby a student is required to undergo a total of 36 credits. Participants will be assigned to a given organization to develop the practicum in the last semester under the supervision of a designated faculty member.
- Must have a Bachelor degree from any recognized university in Bangladesh or abroad;
- At least second class (or CGPA 2.75 on a 4 points scale) in all exams;
- Professional goal statement describing the utility and usefulness of the MPG degree to his/her place of work;
ADMISSION TO MPG
- Admission circular will be given usually in websites and newspapers
- Potential students of the EMPG program would be fresh graduates, new entrants and mid-level working professionals of public bureaucracy, development executives, embassy officials, managers of NGO, and private sector officials.;
- A written admission test will be organized on English, General Knowledge, Analytical Skills and Basic Mathematics (total 100 marks);
FACILITIES AVAILABLE FOR STUDENTS
- PPG Resource Center (also access to NSU central library);
- PPG Computer Lab with internet and printing facilities;
- Separate Common Room for female students;
STRUCTURE OF MPG
- Degree awarded by North-South University, Dhaka, Bangladesh;
- Four semesters (4 months/each);
- Medium of instruction is English;
- Six core courses and 6 specialized courses (each of 3 credits);
- Development and submission of a practicum for 3 credits,
- Total 36 credits are required for awarding the EMPG degree.
DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED
All interested candidates are required to submit on-line/hard copies in prescribed application form downloadable from www.mppg-nsu.org along with the certificates, transcripts and indicating their motivation for undertaking the degree program. A pay order of BDT ……. in favor of North South University along with the application form is required to be sent to Program Officer, room no NAC- 1074, North South University, Bashundhara, Dhaka-1229 before the cutoff date.
MEDIUM OF INSTRUCTION AND LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY
The MPG course is designed and targeted for potential future leaders and executives. The curriculum and resource materials to be supplied are in English. Class lectures, assessments and all communications will be based on English.
The EMPG program follows the NSU grading policy.
Invitation for application will be given in daily news papers and websites on January, 2017